It’s no wonder that WordPress is a top pick among businesses and bloggers alike to grow their online presence. Bloggers Mike Little and Matt Mullenweg built WordPress in 2003 as a blogging platform. Bloggers who knew a little PHP could customize their WordPress sites to their liking. This made WordPress an instant hit in the business community. Twenty years later, WordPress is the number one content management system on the internet. WordPress boasts 62.9% market share of all websites with known CMSs at the time of this writing (December 2023).
I built my first WordPress site in 2010 and started customizing my blog a few years later. Before long, I learned PHP and started building in WordPress. In 2019, I finally took notice of the page builders such as Beaver Builder (which this site is built on). My two in-house WordPress projects at an agency and a major university involved my working in page builders. Since then, WordPress advanced their development of Gutenberg Blocks and retired the WYSISWYG editor. For now, the Classic Editor plugin keeps the classic WYSIWYG editor. The plugin will be supported “until 2024, or as long as is necessary.”
If you’re starting a business today, a robust online presence is crucial for any new business. Selecting the right website platform and hosting service can be the cornerstone of your online success. This is where WordPress and WP Engine come into the picture. Here is why WordPress stands out as the best choice for new businesses and how WP Engine provides unparalleled hosting solutions, especially at the business level.
The feature that sold me on WP Engine are multiple environments, Development, Staging, and Production. This feature can allow the developers (me, in this case) to redesign the site, build new features, or make changes to the website without affecting the live (or production) site.
Last month, I became a WP Engine Partner offering additional services for WordPress users who prefer enterprise-level hosting for their websites. Interested in learning more? Visit my WP Engine Partners page today.
Why Choose WordPress for Your Business Website:
- Ease of Use: WordPress’ easy-to-use What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get (WYSIWYG) editor helped bloggers and businesses built great platforms. Gutenberg blocks gives users even more command of their site pages. Its intuitive design allows even those with minimal technical knowledge to create and manage a website efficiently.
- Flexibility and Scalability: With thousands of themes and plugins, WordPress offers incredible flexibility. Whether you’re a small startup or a growing business, WordPress can scale to meet your evolving needs. Knowing a little PHP gives users the ability to build fully customized platforms.
- SEO-Friendly: WordPress is designed with SEO in mind. Features like clean code, optimized images, and SEO-friendly plugins can help your website potentially rank higher in search engine results. This feature could drive more traffic to your site.
- Community and Support: Being the most popular CMS in the world, WordPress has a vast community. This means access to extensive support forums, tutorials, and resources.
- Cost-Effective: The WordPress platform is available for download for free at WordPress.org. This allows businesses to allocate more resources to other essential areas like marketing and product development.
Why WP Engine is the Superior Hosting Choice for Businesses:
- Optimized for WordPress: WP Engine offers hosting solutions specifically optimized for WordPress, ensuring peak performance.
- Enhanced Security: With WP Engine, you get enterprise-level security, including daily backups, threat detection, and more, ensuring your website is safe and secure.
- Scalability and Speed: WP Engine’s architecture is designed to handle high traffic volumes, making it ideal for businesses experiencing rapid growth. Its servers are tuned for speed, reducing load times.
- Staging Environments: This is the main reason I moved this site to WP Engine. I was facing a major overhaul a few years ago and I needed the multiple environments to ensure my site stayed live during the rebuild. WP Engine provides staging environments, allowing you to test changes without affecting your live site – a crucial feature for large-scale operations.
- Superior Customer Support: Their award-winning customer support team, experienced in WordPress and enterprise needs, is available 24/7 to assist with any issues.
For new businesses, making the right choices in the early stages is crucial. WordPress offers an easy-to-use, flexible, and SEO-friendly platform, perfect for businesses of all sizes and sectors. When combined with WP Engine’s performance-oriented hosting solutions, your business is equipped with a robust, secure, and scalable online presence. Together, WordPress and WP Engine form a powerful duo that can significantly contribute to your business’s success.